Pages

4.24.2010

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Mmm. Pineapple Upside Down Cake. It is scrumptious and full of flavor. I remembered one of my aunts making this type of cake when I was younger. I never tried it, simply because I was disgusted by the thought of eating pineapple with cake?! Who ever would do that? Maybe a decade or so flew by that I decide to make one. The first couple of cakes I made was from the box. I couldn't find a recipe from scratch that I approved of. Until now.

Many recipes calls for an iron skillet, a 9x13 pan, or a round pan. But I personally like to use the Calphalon Angel Food Cake Pan because the presentation of the cake is unbelievably gorgeous! (I am all about the presentation) The pan's bottom is not removable, therefore it retains the brown sugar mixture. The regular Angel Food Cake Pan has the removable bottom which will cause the brown sugar mixture to leak and cause a mess in your oven. Burnt dried up sugar is not fun. Believe me, I would know. Lets just say it was a lesson well learned.

It is perfect for family gatherings, after dinner desserts, a family member's birthday, potlucks, or just for days when you're sitting at home bored and decided that you want to make something to be proud of. Try it your for yourself!
Here are the simple ingredients that you will need:
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 -20 oz can of pineapple slices in juice, reserve the juice
Maraschino cherries
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/3 cup shortening
3/4 cup of reserved pineapple juice or milk
Yellow food color, optional
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease your choice of pan with cooking spray. (You can either use 9-inch or 8-inch round or square pan, I am using the Angel Food Cake pan)

2. Melt the butter in a microwave-safe bowl, then pour it in the pan. Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the melted butter (I like to use light brown sugar. It'll give the cake a beautiful light tan color. Whereas the dark brown sugar, I feel, gives the cake a rather burnt look).

3. Arrange pineapple slices over brown sugar and place one cherry in center of each pineapple slice (Most of the time I have left over pineapple slices. So what i do is slice the slices in halves and place them against the side of the pan. You'll not only have pineapple on top of the cake, after you invert them, but also on the side).

4. In medium bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add in the sugar. Combine. Add in the shortening, egg, and juice (Typically the pineapple juice will give you exactly 3/4 cup. If you do not achieve the full 3/4 cup of pineapple juice, don't fret. Just add a little milk to equal 3/4).

5. Beat on low speed and gradually adjust the speed to high. Beat on high for approximately 3 minutes (I like to add about 3 or 4 drops of yellow food color to give it a vivid color. It is optional).

6. Pour the batter carefully over the pineapples. Make sure you do not disturb the pineapples and cherries arrangement. Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted in center comes out clean.

7. Cool for 5 minutes and then place a heatproof serving plate upside down over pan; invert plate and pan. Leave the pan over the cake for approximately 5 minutes so brown sugar mixture can drizzle over cake.
This recipe is good. Not the greatest. So I'm still searching for the PERFECT one.

7 comments:

  1. hmmmm ...yummy ...there's a rumbly in my tummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delish!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks good to me too bad no one ever makes one for me

    ReplyDelete
  4. How many calories is that?? I want to eat it but I need to watch my weight!! Can you make a low-calorie dessert??

    ReplyDelete
  5. o man. those instruction are really good! it looks really yummy and im sure it is. I wanna see more of ur baking. Im sure you're a awesome baker

    ReplyDelete
  6. can you deliver that to me?? k thanks!

    ReplyDelete