Pages

4.28.2010

Spinach and Cheese Calzones

Calzones. Hot. Beautiful. Flavorful. Turnover. Oozing. Cheese. Delicious.

I think I rather pick calzones over pizza, and I love pizza!

Calzones are similar to pizza but instead of all the toppings being on to of the pizza, it is made into a hotpocket, or turnover, with the toppings, in this case known as fillings, inside. You can use the same dough you use to make pizza for calzones. There are many types of calzone fillings. You can put anything you like it in. Any cheese. Any meat. Any vegetables. Any seasonings. As long as you're willing to eat what you put in there.

Some people mistake calzones for stromboils and vice versa. They are prepared and folded the same. The only difference is that with a calzone you have your dipping on the side, and with a stromboli the sauce is served inside the crust. But they are both equally delicious!

I decided to make calzones when I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and saw the Dough Press Set. I was ecstatic! I was like a little kid in a candy store when I went in there. I love getting new gadgets for my kitchen. So I had to buy it. I had to! And I had a coupon. So it was a win win situation! I wanted to spend more time just to browse around, but alas, I needed to go home. But I left very satisfied.
I can never make a perfect calzone. Perfect as in=no oozing, perfectly sealed calzones, with no rips or tears. But no matter, it still taste great! To have a beautiful brown calzone you'll need to brush it with olive oil. I know some recipes calls to brush it with egg whites. But I'm lazy and I went for the shortcut. I just used Olive Oil cooking spray. Its the same thing as brushing the top with olive oil with less equipment and dishes to wash and hassle free!
I tend to make too much filling so I just simply pack up the left over filling and store it in the freezer until the next time I make calzones or pizza. You can add as much ingredients you want, its whatever you prefer but I will tell you what I used in mine. Every time I make this filling, I use different amounts of everything. But it still taste great!
Pizza Dough
1 10oz chopped spinach, rinse and drained
1 whole egg
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
Marinara sauce
1. Make the dough a day before or about 1 hour before.

2. Preheat the oven to 450.

3. Combine all the ingredients together. (Not the pizza dough or marinara sauce. If you feel the need to add more cheese or any seasonings, go ahead)

4. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface. Cut the dough in 6 inch circles [or larger]. Place the cut dough on the dough press and fill it with the filling (A dough press is not necessary; If you don't have one just cut the dough as big as you like and fill the middle with filling. Try not to over fill the middle).

5. Moisten the edges of the dough with water and push the dough press together to seal. Or use a fork or your fingers to seal the edges.

6. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Spray the top with olive oil. Poke the top of the calzone so the steam can have an escape hole (This will prevent the calzone from becoming unsealed). Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.

7. Dip with marinara sauce and enjoy!

2 comments: