Pages

6.17.2010

Mini Sweet Potato Creme Pies

These mini creme pies are perfect for snacks. Its sweet, light, and moist. You won't be able to resist. You can't eat just one! It is Ummm Ummm Delicious!

I accidently stumbled across this recipe one day. It looked fairly easy and I had most of the ingredients in my pantry closest, and told myself 'Why not?' Who knew that this would become a favorite among my friends.
I went to 4 different stores and could not, I repeat, could not find any canned pumpkin. I realized it must be a seasonal thing. But I didn't let that hold me back. So instead of canned pumpkin, I used yam (sweet potato) instead. The end results did not differ from canned pumpkin. It still tasted like heaven!
I would always tweak the recipe each time I make it. I would add more spices or more of the canned pumpkin, if i used any. I like to pipe the batter instead of dropping it as heaping teaspoons on the baking sheet. This way I can control the size and shape of the pies. It is entirely up to you if you decide to use this method. You can make the pies as small or as large as you prefer. But remember the baking time may be a little less or a little more depending on the size of the pies.
If you're not a big fan of cream cheese, you can fill the pies with regular frosting or any frosting of your choice. I normally make the filling and place it in the refrigerator before starting the batter for the pie. That way the filling won't be too soft when I fill the pie. More powdered sugar can be added if you feel the need to make the filling a little thicker.

The original name for this recipe is called Mini Pumpkin Whoopie Pies. The word "Whoopie" did not appeal to me. So instead, I called it: Mini Pumpkin Creme Pies. Below is the original recipe with the exception of replacing ground ginger for nutmeg and 1 cup of canned pumpkin for 1 can of sweet potato. It can also be found on Very Best Baking.com
Pies
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
1 can (15 oz) Yams (sweet potato), drained and mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in medium bowl and set aside.

3. Beat butter and sugar in a separate bowl on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add in the sweet potato and vanilla extract; beat until batter is smooth. Gradually stir in the flour mixture until combined. Drop by heaping measuring teaspoons onto prepared baking sheets.

4. Bake for 10 to 13 minutes or until springy to the touch. Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool.
Cream Cheese Filling
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
6 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1. Beat the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla extract on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until light and fluffy.

2. Spread the filling onto flat side of one pie. Top with flat side of second cookie to make a sandwich. Repeat. Store in covered container in refrigerator.

2 comments: