Pages

5.15.2010

Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits

I was obsessed on finding the perfect buttermilk biscuits. Every biscuits that I tried to make didn't turn out well. The only time that I made a passable biscuit, from what I remembered, was back in High School. I was disappointed that I couldn't find the recipe in my recipe book. I truly thought that I kept it. You can imagine my dismay when it wasn't in there. And believe me, I flipped through each pages, not once but twice!
So I searched the web, trying to find a good recipe that has raving reviews. Finally found one and tweaked it a bit. I was extremely happy with the outcome. It was crispy around the edges. Light. Flaky. Soft. Heaven. I think this is a keeper in my book!
Using extremely cold, frozen, shortening or unsalted butter is preferred. If you don't have a pastry blender/cutter to cut in the shortening/butter, try using two butter knifes. It also helps the biscuits to rise properly if you use fresh baking powder and baking soda. You can roll the biscuits out as thin as 1/2 inch and cut it with a cutter as small as a 2 inch biscuit cutter.
I know this recipe calls for buttermilk. And most recipes used does not call for buttermilk. What do you do? You have a few options. You can use a buttermilk subisitutie such as regular milk + vingear, or plain yogurt. You can use buttermilk, as the recipe calls, and freeze the remaining buttermilk. I usually freeze the remaining buttermilk in ice cube trays. Once its fully frozen, I just pop it out of the tray and store it in a zip lock bag. The frozen buttermilk can last you for a couple of months.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup vegetable shortening or unsalted butter (cut into cubes)
1 cup cheddar cheese finely grated
3/4 cup buttermilk

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Combine dry ingredients (flour, garlic powder, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, pepper, old bay) and then sift in a large bowl. Cut in the shortening/unsalted using a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add in cheese.

3. Make a well in the center and add buttermilk. Quickly fold dry ingredients into buttermilk with your hands until a sticky dough forms.

4. Turn dough out onto floured surface. Gently fold the dough 3 or 4 times to create layers. Roll dough out to 3/4-inch thick. Cut with a 3-inch biscuit cutter and place the cut biscuits on a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. Make a dimple in the center to help the top rise evenly.

5. Combine 1/4 cup butter with 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, parsley flakes and salt. Brush this mixture over the tops of each unbaked biscuit.

6. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. It makes about 8 biscuits.

2 comments: