Pages

2.26.2011

Cinnamon Rolls

I was craving cinnamon rolls one day. Not any type of cinnamon rolls. The type that comes in a can - pillsbury cinnamon rolls. Those just melts in your mouth and brings you to heaven! So my next mission: find the perfect cinnamon roll recipe. Oh did I searched and searched and searched. Most of the recipes that I came across required a bread machine. Which I do not have anymore. I threw mine out a while back, big mistake. But I finally located a few that doesn't need the machine. Some had great reviews, some you just have to have luck to make it. After reviewing a few, I decided to conduct an experiment. I made 2 batches. The first batch I followed the original recipe to a T. The results: not happy. My second batch, which I made a couple of days later and with some changes and additions, came out [almost] perfect. Now I'm satisfied.
Before rising

After sitting for 1 hour and 15 minutes
The original recipe can be found at allrecipes.com. If you compare the original recipe to my revised recipe, you can see where I made the changes and additions.
With raisins, optional. Walnuts or pecans can be added if desired

Rolled up and ready
First batch:
used a knife to cut 12 rolls - squished the shape of the rolls.
used the entire cinnamon sugar filling - too sweet! (with the icing)
Second Batch:
used a piece of thread (if you have floss, that will work too) to slice 12 rolls - shape came out perfectly.
used 3/4 of the filling - perfect! (with the icing)
added pudding mix - it smelled better
let the dough sit longer than the original recipe
Raw and gooey

Baked, warm, fresh, and yummy
Using my pyrex 13 x 9 glass baking dish works better than a dark coated pan. The whole procedure took a while for me to make. I thought about making it overnight (the kneading, filling, rolling, slicing, and placing it in a pan) and then baking it in the morning. But I'm not sure how the rolls will come out. But I will certainly provide an update when I make another batch for overnight.
Spreaded

Drizzled
Rolls
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup butter (or margarine)
1 (.25 ounce) package active yeast
1/4 cup water
3 1/4 - 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 (3 oz) packet of vanilla pudding mix
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg

Filling
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup margarine, softened
1/2 cup raisins, optional

Directions
1. Heat the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat and add in butter; stir until melted. Let it cool to lukewarm temperature.
2. Stir yeast in (warm) water for about 5 minutes.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 1/4 cup flour, pudding mix, sugar and salt; mix well. Add egg and milk mixture; beat until damp. Add in the yeast + water. Beat until combined.
4. Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition, until dough pull away from the side. Turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently until smooth, about 5 minutes.
5. Cover the dough and let rise until doubled in size. About an hour to 1 1/2 hour.
6. For the filling, mix brown sugar, cinnamon, and softened margarine in a small bowl.
7. Roll out dough to 15x12 inch. Spread with sugar mixture. Sprinkle with raisins, optional.
8. Roll up dough with the shortest end first. Cut into 12 equal size rolls and place in a greased 13x9 pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 - 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350.
9. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until browned. Drizzle or spread icing over warm rolls. Serve.

Icing (enough for 6 rolls)

1 cups powdered sugar
1-2 tablespoon of milk
1/2 teasspoon of vanilla extract, optional.
dash of salt.

1. Mix together sugar, salt, and milk, one tablespoon at a time, to achieve a spreading consistency.
2. Add extract, if desired
3. Spread over warm rolls

1 comment: