Pages

10.30.2010

Caramel Apples [Mini]

So it's that time of the year again. Halloween!! And with Halloween comes caramel apples! But this year, I decided to do something different. Instead of regular sized caramel apples, I'm going to make mini caramel apples.
How, you say? Well, you can either purchase Lady Apples, which I never heard of until I read some articles online. Or make your own mini apple balls using a melon baller, which I opted to do. I got about 9 balls from a medium size Granny Smith Apple.
Dip the balls in lemon juice to prevent browning. And make sure you get all the excessive liquid off with a paper towel. The caramel will not stick if there is excessive liquid.
Before doing the mini caramel apples, I read quite a bit of articles. Some met failure and some met success. So I decided to conduct an experiment. After dipping the apples in lemon juice and patting the apples dry and sticking a tooth pick in the middle (instead of a wooden Popsicle stick. Because obviously, the popsicle stick is way too big), I dusted the apples with powders before dipping it in the melted caramel.
Experiments:
1. Dust the apple with corn stratch.
2. Dust the apple with powered sugar.
3. Dust the apple with regular all purpose flour.
4. Dip the apples with melted chocolate and place in freezer to hard the chocolate.
5. No dipping. No dusting. All natural.

Results:
1. After dipping the apples in the caramel, the caramel just slid right off when I lifted the apple up.
2. The caramel stayed on! Whoo Hoo!
3. After dipping the apples, some of the caramel stayed and some slid right off.
4. Working very quickly, dip and twirl the apple to get every area coated without melting the chocolate. The caramel stayed on! Yey!
5. The caramel stayed on! Yey! But oh no! after a while, spots of caramel was sliding off, along with the apple's juices.
And the winner? It came down to #2(pictured above on right) and #4(pictured above on left).
It was hard to pick. But... If I really had to, it'll be #4 as first place and #2 as first runner up.

Happy Halloween!

1 comment:

  1. yumm will you make me some?? mini caramel apple and mini candy apple :D

    ReplyDelete